Friday 20 April 2007

Milkweed - Jerry Spinelli




I was attracted to Milkweed just for the cover, but when I started to read it I was immediately sold. This is a book that grabs you from the first few lines.Its tells the story of a young street boy living in Poland in 1939. With no family or friends he believes he is called 'Stopthief' and does not know his name or if he is a Jew. He is taken under the wing of an older boy and gradually he learns more. This book shows the lead up to the holocaust for Jewish people in Poland from the eyes of an uneducated, naive bystander.


The prose is innocent and sparse, the short chapters move through the events so quickly that it is often a few pages on when it hits you what he has seen.


In my opinion even better than The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

If you have read this book feel free to comment or leave a link to your own review.

2 comments:

raidergirl3 said...

You've been having great luck with your book choices lately. Every time I visit your blog, I get another good book to add to my list.

katrina said...

this one was a random accident, i just liked the pretty cover and I think I have convinced the school I work for to buy a class set so I can teach it!