Saturday 19 April 2008

My Thoughts: The Book of Dave - Will Self


This book covers two worlds in alternate chapters, one is the world of Dave, a London Cabbie struggling to cope with his divorce and the lack of time he is able to spend with his child. In a state he writes The Book of Dave, a book of rules about how the world should be run. The second world is a dystopian London, The Book of Dave has been found and they live strictly by his misogynistic rules, women treated as baby incubabtors and the week divided equally into Mummytime and Daddytime.


I loved this book, the first chapter was bloody hard work as I had no idea what was going on and the phonetically spelt Cockney was torturous, but I perservered, things started coming together and the dialect become so familiar that I could read it with no problem.


The novel is filled with many messages about the way that family life is disintegrating in our multi-racial societies.


Definately well worth the effort and I'll be adding novels by Will Self to my mental TBR list.

If you have read this book feel free to comment or leave a link to your own review.

No comments: